Thursday, May 22, 2008

Shark Fins again?






















This is not exactly a post I like to add here, but was driven more out of guilt after reading a newspaper story.

It reported consumptions in Singapore jumped for 182 tonnes to 470 tons in 2007!
What? How many sharks had to be killed? How about the rest of Asia?
Singapore is said to be among the top 5 shark fins importer.

It seem to be a 'must' in wedding diners.. with around 24,000 marriages registered last year.

Well, I have shied away from shark fins ever since I saw documentary of sharks thrown back to sea alive after their fins were cut off!

Sharks has been around for more than 250 million years if I remember correctly. Those in the trade acknowledge there are less sharks in the ocean to be hunted now. Are we, the Homo Sapiens, over doing it again, threatening species everywhere we go? Are we too smart for our own good?

In hind sight, I should have decline that meal at Yaowarat!

No comments: